How does the Gastric Balloon Work?
The stomach balloon therapy is a minimally invasive, temporary method of inducing weight loss. It relies upon a soft, saline-filled balloon placed in the stomach to promote the feeling of satiety and restriction. The weight loss mechanism of the stomach balloon therapy is restrictive. Any balloon with a volume of 400 mL or greater can induce satiety. Another possible mechanism of action that may also contribute to weight loss is by delaying gastric emptying. As with any bariatric gastric surgery, the gastric balloon weight loss procedure the patient’s compliance with lifestyle modifications is essential for achieving and sustaining weight loss during and after therapy.
- The Orbera gastric balloon weight loss procedure is the most commonly used intragastric balloon worldwide. It is made of silicone and placed in the stomach endoscopically and filled with 400 to 700 mL of saline. After residing in the stomach for six months, it is removed endoscopically. The Orbera Balloon is available in the United States (US) to treat obesity in adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 to 40 kg/m2who have failed previous attempts at weight loss through diet and exercise alone
- For the next six months the Orbera® balloon is inside your stomach, reducing the amount you can eat, and re-training your brain to better anticipate when your stomach is getting full. It’s during this time that open and constant communication with your support team is crucial to maximizing the benefits of Orbera®. This means regular face-to-face sessions with your treatment team, dietician, weight loss coach, fitness trainer, psychologist and doctor. During these first six months, with the stomach balloon and support team working in tandem, patients see the most drastic results – Losing 20 to 50 pounds (sometimes even more).
- After you’ve had six months to change the way you eat and your lifestyle, the balloon is removed. The simple and non-surgical procedure is very similar to the placement process, only taking 20 minutes. This is done again with an upper endoscopy procedure.
Why it’s done
A Gastral Balloon procedure lowers the risk of:
- Heart disease & stroke
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
Who is Gastral Balloon procedure for?
A gastric balloon may be an option for you if:
- Your body mass index is between 30 & 40
- You’re willing to commit to healthy lifestyle changes and regular medical follow-up, along with participation in behavioral therapy.
- You have not had any previous stomach or esophageal surgery
For more information and to schedule and appointment, contact our weight loss clinic today.
Read More About How a Gastric Balloon Works and the Benefits
How Does Orbera Gastric Balloon Work and its Benefits
Weight Loss with an Intragastric Balloon
Benefits of Orbera Gastric Balloon for Weight Loss
The AGA Recommends Intragastric Balloons for Weight Loss
Endoscopic Gastric Balloon for Bariatric Weight Loss
How Does the ORBERA® Gastric Balloon Work?
What Is Intragastric Balloon Therapy for Weight Loss?
Intragastric balloon: an ally against obesity
Intragastric Balloon: An Overview
The Orbera® Gastric Balloon is More Than Just a Balloon